A NEW BASE OF OPERATIONS (week six in a nine-week narrative campaign)
Week 6 “Escalation”
Having recovered much of the hidden cache means you have the food, fuel, and medical supplies to continue the Praxus campaign. However, battle forces are depleted. Fortunately, your enemy seems to be faring no better. Your main resupply force is still some weeks out, but fortunately, a small allied outpost located on an intervening world picked up your request for resupply and has sent reinforcements to supplement your dwindling battle force. Meager as this assistance may be, you can wait no longer. The time has come to push into the ruined city and attempt to locate the elusive power source before enemy forces receive reinforcements…
Chose a Battle-Forged army at 1500 points. Standard Force Organization Charts, Detachments, and Formations must be followed.
This narrative will make use of a standard 4×6 battlefield using d6+2 pieces of terrain. Terrain must be placed at least 5” from another terrain piece. Urban ruins is the preferred terrain.
Six objective markers will be placed using standard methods. Each objective marker must be at least 12” from another marker.
Use Vanguard Strike deployment. Players must deploy using the Standard Deployment Method.
The player that deployed first can choose to take the first or second turn in round one. If they decide to take the first turn, their opponent can attempt to Seize the Initiative.
Tactical Objectives: Each player generates one Tactical Objective at the start of his first turn. If, at the start of their turn, a player has fewer Active Tactical Objectives than the current turn number, he must generate a number of new Tactical Objectives until he has a number equal to the current turn number. If, at the start of his turn a player has more Active Tactical Objectives than this number, he must discard Tactical Objectives of his choice until he has the correct number remaining.
This mission uses Variable Game Length.
At the end of the game, the player who scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of victory points, the game is a draw.
At the end of the game, the player who scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of victory points, the game is a draw. Achieve as many Tactical Objectives as possible. A player may choose, at the end of any turn, to discard one unwanted Tactical Objective.
Slay the Warlord, First Blood, Linebreaker
MISSION SPECIAL RULES
Mysterious Objectives, Nightfighting (optional), Reserves, Tactical Objectives
To simulate the ongoing effects of previous encounters as this narrative progresses, the following apply.
- If you won the previous match, you may deploy up to 2” beyond your standard Deployment Zone.
This simulates your Warlord pressing the advantage against his enemy. In earnest, he has deployed the army beyond normal protocols to try and catch his enemy off guard and finish them quickly.
- If you lost the previous match, you will receive a +1 to either your roll to determine which player deploys first, or to your Seize the Initiative roll (your choice). This bonus must be declared prior to rolling any dice.
This bonus simulates your Warlord’s desperation to counter the enemy’s previous success and push them back.
- If your warlord survives AND you win the match, your warlord* will receive a +1 to either their Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill for the next match. This bonus is not conferred to other units/models even if special rules for the warlord normally permit them to use his Ballistic/Weapon Skill. Also, the bonus is not cumulative and onlyapplies to the following match. However, this bonus can be extended with additional victories.
This bonus simulates your Warlord’s improved battle skill through experience and victory.
* This narrative assumes you will play future matches with the same warlord. You are certainly permitted to change warlords/army lists, but you forfeit the bonuses accrued if you do so.
- If your warlord is slain, it will return with one fewer wound in the following match**. However, the Warlord as well as all unit Sergeants will receive a +1 bonus to their Leadership stat. These bonus/penalties are not cumulative and only apply to the following match. However, they can be extended with additional loses.
This simulates your Warlord’s injuries have not completely healed after the previous match, but his desperate resolve is an inspiration to his troops and they rally to him in stern determination.
** while changing warlords is certainly allowed, you cannot avoid this battle experience affect, by doing so. Regardless of which warlord you bring to the next game, it will be affected by these adjustments.