A NEW BASE OF OPERATIONS (week eight in a nine-week narrative campaign)
Week 8 “Abundant Victory!”
Having finally driven enemy forces away from the center of the city and defeated the pirates, the building containing the power source is secure…but will it remain that way? Scouting reports are already coming in that the enemy is regrouping. It appears they are preparing another assault on the building containing the power source. You may only have hours to prepare your defenses…
Choose a Battle-Forged army at 1750 points. Standard Force Organization Charts, Detachments, and Formations must be followed.
This mission will make use of a standard 4×6 battlefield using d6+2 pieces of terrain. Terrain must be placed at least 5” from another terrain piece with urban/ruined terrain pieces recommended. Place an undamaged building at the center of the battlefield to represent the location of the power source.
Six objective markers will be placed using standard methods. Each objective marker must be at least 12” from another marker. Additionally, the building at the center of the terrain will represent the primary objective. Players will generate three Tactical Objectives at the start of the game.
Use Dawn of War deployment. Players must deploy using the Standard Deployment Method.
The player that deployed first can choose to take the first or second turn in round one. If they decide to take the first turn, their opponent can attempt to Seize the Initiative.
This mission uses Variable Game Length.
At the end of the game, the player who scored the most Victory Points is the winner. If both players have the same number of victory points, the game is a draw.
Achieve as many Tactical Objectives as possible. If at the start of your turn, you have fewer than three active Tactical Objectives, generate new Tactical Objectives until you have three. A player may choose, at the end of any turn, to discard one unwanted Tactical Objective.
In addition to Tactical Objectives, any player that controls the building in the center at the end of their turn earns a Victory Point.
At the end of the game, each player receives 1 Victory Point for each enemy scoring unit that has been completely destroyed. Units that are falling back at the end of the game, and units not on the board at the end of the game, count as destroyed. Remember that independent characters and dedicated transports are individual units and award Victory Points if they are destroyed.
Finally, at the end of the game, each Objective Marker is worth d3 Victory Points to the player that controls it.
Slay the Warlord, First Blood, Linebreaker
Mission Special Rules
Mysterious Objectives (optional), Night Fighting (optional), Reserves
To simulate the ongoing effects of previous encounters as this narrative progresses, the following apply.
- If you won the previous match, you may deploy up to 2” beyond your standard Deployment Zone.
This simulates your Warlord pressing the advantage against his enemy. In earnest, he has deployed the army beyond normal protocols to try and catch his enemy off guard and finish them quickly.
- If you lost the previous match, you will receive a +1 to either your roll to determine which player deploys first, or to your Seize the Initiative roll (your choice). This bonus must be declared prior to rolling any dice.
This bonus simulates your Warlord’s desperation to counter the enemy’s previous success and push them back.
- If your warlord survives AND you win the match, your warlord* will receive a +1 to either their Weapon Skill or Ballistic Skill for the next match. This bonus is not conferred to other units/models even if special rules for the warlord normally permit them to use his Ballistic/Weapon Skill. Also, the bonus is not cumulative and onlyapplies to the following match. However, this bonus can be extended with additional victories.
This bonus simulates your Warlord’s improved battle skill through experience and victory.
* This narrative assumes you will play future matches with the same warlord. You are certainly permitted to change warlords/army lists, but you forfeit the bonuses accrued if you do so.
- If your warlord is slain, it will return with one fewer wound in the following match**. However, the Warlord as well as all unit Sergeants will receive a +1 bonus to their Leadership stat. These bonus/penalties are not cumulative and only apply to the following match. However, they can be extended with additional loses.
This simulates your Warlord’s injuries have not completely healed after the previous match, but his desperate resolve is an inspiration to his troops and they rally to him in stern determination.
** while changing warlords is certainly allowed, you cannot avoid this battle experience affect, by doing so. Regardless of which warlord you bring to the next game, it will be affected by these adjustments.